Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Beauty and Talent

I've wanted to write about this for a while, since the frenzy started, but I was either not in the mood of writing or swamped. I am on campus now and I have to wait for around 30 minutes until its time for the bus departure so here it goes.

The frenzy I am referring to is about the Singer Susan Boyle who appeared recently on "Britain has got talent". Susan Boyle has a very good and powerful voice but it seems to me that the frenzy is about her goofy look rather than her actual talent. On MBC4 a couple of nights ago there was a report on CBS about Susan and the interviewee's jaws dropped and seemed to have some difficulties in grasping the notion that ugly women can sing!!!!

a7a ya3ny, what the fuck?! Since when has good vocaling become so strictly associated with having good looks? Who said, to begin with, that most of those good looking singers have talent? I mean imagine that notion applied here, Haifaa Wahby would then be the greatest vocalist in the world.




It's unfortunate how pop culture blurs, what seems to me, a very basic concept. Singers use their vocal chords to sing, erotic dancers shake their asses and models ... well look thin and anorexic. That being said; I'd much rather see people appreciate this singer for her talent and not because they are surprised that someone who looks like Mrs. piggy can sing. Swine!


The video has got more than 1 million views so unfortunately I couldn't embed it. Here is the link to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il5TBgD9kHI

1 comment: